As a lifelong resident Wisconsin-ite, one of my favorite things to do is tout about how great of a state we have. From the beer, to the seasons, to the cost of living, there are many things that (in my heart at least) make Wisco the place to be.
And as I’ve journeyed a few years now into the event industry, I feel exactly the same way about why someone should celebrate here. There are some especially unique spots in all corners of the state that go above and beyond to give groups a one of a kind experience. Today I would to highlight a few that we’ve stumbled upon over the years that can be considered an ultimate “Destination Wisconsin” treasure.
Each of the locations below is suggested for a full weekend long experience and offers on-site accommodations to keep things easy for you and your guests. So start packing!
The Osthoff Resort
Grand, gorgeous, timeless.. just a few words to describe the beautiful Osthoff Resort, located on Wisconsin’s east coast in Elkhart Lake. One of only a handful of AAA Four Diamond properties in the area, here are our favorite things to consider:
- It has everything you need including, pampering, amenities, dining, and views. Upon stepping through the doors you feel like you’re on vacation and can look forward to a serious “Treat Yo Self” weekend.
- The location is easily accessible from most major areas of the state. It’s far enough that it feels like a getaway, but close enough that it’s not a long haul.
- We love the great pocket of vendors tucked around this area. It’s not a big deal to pull someone from Milwaukee or Madison if needed, but there is an additional special group of local creatives (including an on-site florist at the resort) that are ready to bring their own flair to come through for you!
White Oak Savanna
New in town and found right in Frank Lloyd Wright’s backyard, White Oak Savanna is the peaceful sanctuary you’ve been looking for to just get away. Our favorite highlights:
- All the elements of a unique event space, that’s actually built to hold your event. What do we mean? The areas such as wedding getting ready rooms, gender neutral bathrooms, and a commercial kitchen, are comfortable and current. There’s also already available rentals, so you’re not having to haul in everything under the sun.
- Sustainability and eco-friendliness are major values of this venue, factors that don’t always mix well with large style events. WOS goes above and beyond to be friendly no only to your party but to our world.
- The Driftless Area of Wisconsin where this is tucked is one of the best and most beautiful around. If you’re interested in hiking and adventure, this is the place to be.
If it’s an outdoor wedding full of hiking and adventure that you desire, look no further than White Oak Savanna Events Farm & Sanctuary. Nestled in arguably one of the most beautiful areas of Wisconsin, WOS offers the perfect location to make your outdoor wedding uniquely yours, without having to give up the city-like amenities we all desire.
Here to remind us of simpler times, we fell in love with Camp Wandawega in Elkhorn when attending our very first Camp Wed, and have been lucky enough to return several times since then. For those looking for some respite away from the big city, we provide you our list of favorite things:
- Not one detail has been missed in this outfitting of this crazy creative space, which mirrors that of a Wes Anderson film. Vintage vehicles, boy scout tents, and 20ft tall bonfires await visitors, and the venue has been used by a wide variety of companies for marketing collaborations over the years.
- The number of activities available to guests is endless, with a few of our favs being axe throwing, tire swinging, and hanging out for a beach day.
- There’s just magic here. It has a history (ask Ranger Joe about the origin story!), a two-story treehouse, and a deep connection with it’s community for whom it hosts a mass every Sunday in the outdoor chapel.
Did we miss anyone? Let us know your favorites and thoughts on those we’ve discussed if you’ve already been!
Featured Photo: Heather Cooke Elliot